Saturday, September 02, 2006

Molly's jolly is a Campbell's soup


THE rather grotesque face of Molly Campbell has been plastered across the big screen in our newsroom most of the week. That's one of the downsides to have 24 hour news channels on all the time during the so-called silly season.

I didn't really give two hoots about her until she held a press conference in Lahore to say she wanted to stay with her dad.

That's a 12-year-old girl holding a news conference which was shown around the world instantly. Mad, isn't it?

But what is even more mad to be is that everyone seems to have forgotten that her mother, Louise, is her legal guardian, not her father. So whether Molly likes it or not, her father kidnapped her when he took her out of the country to Pakistan.

And if the Pakistani authorities had any sense, they'd send her back to the UK asap. Because since when did a 12-year-old's wants over-rule the British legal system?

When I was 12 I'm pretty certain I didn't want to go to school, only wanted to exercise when doing a paper round and would have preferred my mum left my tea outside my room so I could keep on the old Sega MegaDrive all night.

But strangely, I went to school every day, did PE and had a tea round the table. Why? Because it's what 12-year-olds who don't want ASBOs. They do as their told. And the same applies to Molly.

Molly, incidentally, insists she isn't going to be forced into an arranged marriage. And she wants to change her name to Misbah. Misbah Campbell. Presumably, it still remains out of her control when her surname will change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She was born Misbah Rana. For some reason her mother decided to call her Molly. Campbell is not even her mother's maiden name, it is the name of her mother's live-in lover. And as a mother myself, it is despicable to change your child's name against her will to that of your current lover.