Monday, December 25, 2006

So here it is, merry CHRISTmas


There's been a lot of gnashing of teeth this year about whether it's time to treat Christmas as an American-style 'happy holidays' type event rather than a Christian one.


In America, the 'holiday season' appears to kick-off with Thanksgiving and runs, certainly in the eyes of the shops, until just after Christmas, so you can see why perhaps Christmas isn't quite the focal point it is here.


But to me, it's simple. Would you expect people to celebrate your birthday without you? What would the point of the party be?


I'm not quite sure who's promoting the Winterval idea - I'm a bit concerned the church trying to clamp down on the vague notion of it might actually give the concept legs - but I don't know anyone of other faiths who'd deny Christians Christmas.


We're a Christian country, so Christmas is pretty much a national festival. And there's no reason other faiths can't join in, without compromising their own beliefs. I've received Christmas cards from Muslims in the past, just as I've sent them cards at Eid. I received one from a Jewish man this year - you see what I mean.


But the great thing about Christianity, in my opinion, is that it's up to you what you make of it. There's no prescribed way of being a Christian. You can just talk to God from home, or do so in church every week.


Yet to start driving Christianity out of Christmas seems to be going to far. If people choose to celebrate without involving the birth of Christ, then they can, but surely it's better for people to opt out rather than people having to opt in to make their Christmas religious.


And I defy anyone to disagree once they've enjoyed a midnight service at Christmas.


Have a good one - and don't forget to invite the big man to the party!

No comments: